Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

February 23, 2012

DIY Frame Tutorial

 As promised here is the tutorial for the picture frame I made here. As I said before, after I put the large picture on my wall it just didn't look right to me. So I thought that a nice big chunky frame would be the perfect fix. 


I went back to the hardware store and picked out my molding, came home and got right to work. I wanted the frame to sit perfectly around the picture so what I did was hold my molding right up to the picture and measured slightly more than the length of the picture on the molding. You want to make sure the frame is slightly bigger than the picture itself so that it can hang directly on top of the picture...I'm talking only a 1/4" difference. I made a 45 degree cut on the ends of each piece. This method worked perfectly and only took me about 15 min to make all of the cuts. 

 

Now I assembled the frame. I figured since the frame wasn't going to be holding anything up that it would be light enough to use wood glue. So I just stuck a small amount of wood glue between each corner and held it in place. Wood glue dries fairly quick so I just sat there and held each piece until it was dry enough to move on to the next corner. Once the whole frame was assembled I flipped it over and put a big glob of glue on the back of each corner to make it a bit more durable. I might go back and add some brackets to make it even more secure but for now this works. 

 

Once the glue was dry I took some brackets I picked up at the hardware store and attached them to the back of the frame. The nails are so small that I had to use pliers to nail them in. I put 2 of these on the back of the frame.

 

The last step is to caulk the edges and paint which I haven't done yet, I hate that part :) I then used some small nails and hung this frame directly on top of the picture and voila...you are done!



Now I want to add some wainscoting along that wall to finish it. But that is another project for another day :)

Linking up to:
katherines Corner
A Creative Princess
The Crafty Blog Stalker
House of Hepworths
Seven Thirty Three

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been blog hopping on the Thursdays Favorite Things Blog Hop and I have learned so many things from so many amazing and talented people. I am following you and would love a follow back:)

My Turn (for us)

http://myturn-evelyn.blogspot.com

Thanks so much, I sure enjoyed the visit!

Katherines Corner said...

It looks lovely. Well done. Thank you for linking to the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop linky party. Big Hugs and smooches and wishes for a beautiful weekend. P.S. Did you get your entry in for the sweetheart giveaway?

Erin Branscom said...

Very pretty! :)

Jill said...

love it! what a great idea

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...